Agility is a great way to have fun with your dog!
• It is a great way to build your dog's confidence
• It helps build self control
• It helps strengthen the bond between you and your dog
• It keeps your dog's mind active and healthy – most dogs need a job
• It is a great form of exercise, for both you and your dog
• Most important – It is FUN!
Getting started in agility:
• Begin with obedience classes so your dog learns self-control and social skills.
• Check with your vet about your dog's fitness and health for agility: they need to be able to run, jump and climb and their bones need to be fully developed.
• Next, take agility classes in your local area from a trained instructor.
• Attend an agility trial to watch the dogs and their handlers compete.
• Apply for membership and an ID/registration number for your dog with CPE (http://www.k9cpe.com/apply.htm)
• Wait until your dog is 15 months old and has learned the obstacles, then sign your dog up for Level 1 games and start competing!
Benefits of membership in Eastern Maine Agility Club:
• Friendships with like-minded folks who love dogs and love the sport
• Subscription to quarterly newsletter
• Membership in the EMAC-Members Facebook page and EMAC Yahoo Group
• Support and guidance from other members
• Participation and discounts in agility seminars and practice fun runs
• Discounts for camping fees at the Skowhegan trials
• Volunteering and contributing to the club’s success in providing five agility trials in Maine each year.